Note: You can monitor new downloads by subscribing to SourceForge's file release feed .
Note to article writers: When posting GSmartControl download links, please link to this page instead of the individual files below. This way the users will always get the latest available version.
SHA1 sum: 36c255e8f493b003a616cb1eff3a86ccc6b8f80a
MD5 sum: 6d104c2ffc1e693cd1a8052a6d7e3b30
You can also check the SVN trunk version.
Build and install with:
./configure; make; make install
See the software requirements below.
gsmartcontrol-root to invoke gsmartcontrol with your desktop's su mechanism, or use the desktop menu entry.
Binary and Distribution-specific Packages
Some distributions already include GSmartControl in their repositories. These are probably your best bet; however, I can't guarantee that they have the latest version available. Note that all the packages from the OBS project directory, as well as Windows packages, are always up to date.
- ALT Linux: Sisyphus.
- Arch Linux: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=gsmartcontrol.
- CentOS: OBS project directory. The OBS project also acts as a repomd (yum) repository.
- Debian GNU/Linux: GSmartControl is available in Debian unstable (Sid) and Debian Squeeze. You may use
apt-get install gsmartcontrolto install it. Additionally, Debian 6, 7 and 8 packages are available at OBS project directory. The OBS project also acts as an apt source.
- Fedora: OBS project directory. The OBS project also acts as a repomd (yum) repository.
- Frugalware Linux: http://frugalware.org/packages/?op=pkg&srch=gsmartcontrol.
- Gentoo Linux: An ebuild for Gentoo is available in the Sunrise overlay. Once the overlay is added, you can install the package by typing
- Mandriva Linux: Starting with Mandriva Linux 2009.1, GSmartControl is available in Mandriva Linux. You may use
rpmdraketo install it. Additionally, packages are available at OBS project directory. The OBS project also acts as a repomd (yum) repository.
- MEPIS Linux: GSmartControl is available in MEPIS Community Repository.
- openSUSE: You can use one-click installs for Tumbleweed, 42.1, 13.2, 13.1, 12.3, 12.2, 12.1. See OBS project directory for direct access to packages for both current and older distribution releases. The OBS project also acts as repomd (yast/zypper) installation source.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux: OBS project directory (Note: Use RHEL packages). The OBS project also acts as a repomd (yum) repository.
- Slackware Linux: slackbuilds.org
- Slax: GSmartControl module
- SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server), SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop): OBS project directory (Note: Use SLE_* packages). The OBS project also acts as a repomd (yast/zypper) installation source.
- Ubuntu: GSmartControl is available in Ubuntu (universe) since Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala). You may use
sudo apt-get install gsmartcontrolto install it. Additionally, packages are available at OBS project directory. The OBS project also acts as an apt source.
- Zenwalk Linux: http://packages.zenwalk.org/?q=gsmartcontrol&zversion=current
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/gsmartcontrol/ && make install cleanto install the port. Use
pkg_add -r gsmartcontrolto add the package. See freshports.org for details.
- Installer (recommended): gsmartcontrol-0.8.7.exe
SHA1 sum: 0670e815eb9359e36bcf7ed66ae1ed89bcb1c32d
MD5 sum: efaf3fa4420e27a02acea38b82ebad80
- Zip: gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip
SHA1 sum: 4299875c589a2afd39fe64b514fa78c84f5d7be8
MD5 sum: 406334b15af8d9f3c7a50e4a7bf82b6a
- Installer (without GTK+): gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-nogtk.exe
SHA1 sum: a5e4623b00f7f492a7ce5403c70c953e116b5d17
MD5 sum: c06392ace6c9250ecd305492f1589da3
- Zip (without GTK+): gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32-nogtk.zip
SHA1 sum: 3bdeb2ae10b26efaf91d2fd110992847fdea146b
MD5 sum: 93b3a6d3bef61ca6c2d696b6bd22c42f
- Parted Magic includes GSmartControl since version 3.5.
- RIP Linux - (R)ecovery (I)s (P)ossible Linux rescue system includes GSmartControl.
- Ultimate Boot CD contains Parted Magic with GSmartControl in it.
You need to have the following software installed to build gsmartcontrol:
- GTK+, version 2.6 or higher
- Gtkmm, version 2.6 or higher
- libglademm, version 2.4 or higher. Note: libglademm is not needed when using GTK+ / Gtkmm 2.12 or newer.
Note that having GTK+ 2.12 and Gtkmm 2.12 is HIGHLY recommended. While earlier versions may work, they may produce suboptimal results and buggy behavior.
Most of these packages are probably already provided by your distribution. Here are the packages you need to have to build GSmartControl on some Linux distributions:
Mandriva: gcc-c++, gcc-cpp, pcre-devel, gtkmm2.4-devel, (possibly) libglademm2.4-devel >= 2.4.0.
Note that usually you need to specify only these packages - the rest is installed automatically by the package manager's dependency resolver. Keep in mind that you also need smartmontools to run the program.
The following operating systems are supported:
- Linux - All the popular configurations should work.
- FreeBSD - Tested with DesktopBSD 1.6 (FreeBSD 6.3) / x86.
- NetBSD - Tested with NetBSD 4.0.1 / x86.
- OpenBSD - Tested with OpenBSD 4.3 / x86-64 / gcc-3.3.5.
- Windows (2000 SP4 or newer) - Tested with Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 8 (64-bit). The Windows port uses pd0, pd1, etc... for physical drives 0, 1, etc... .
- Solaris - Tested with Solaris 10 / x86 / gcc-3.4.3 / blastwave, Solaris 10 / x86 / sunstudio12 / sunfreeware. OpenSolaris should work but has not been tested yet.
- Mac OS X - 3rd-party testing by MacPorts and Fink projects.
- DragonFlyBSD - Code written but no testing has been performed yet. Expected to work without any issues.
- QNX - Code written but no testing has been performed yet.
Check the SourceForge project files area for previous releases.